ThinkOnIt Bible Devotions for Daily Inspiration

My Utmost For His Highest

Our Daily Bread

Inner Fulfillment ~ Inspiring Devotions

ThinkOnIt's shared items

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

ThinkOnIt...Philippians 4:1 NKJV

Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved. Philippians 4:1 NKJV

Can you imagine receiving a letter from someone who calls you "my beloved, longed-for brethren, my joy and crown"? I can't. Well maybe my mother might think I am her joy when I'm being good as a little girl. In opening this chapter with those words, Paul is pouring out his love for the Philippians. He tells them he loves and longs for them. Wow! It is a wonderful, beautiful, exciting thing to have someone love and long for you. After all the world, tries to make us feel like we are not worth loving, that no one will ever really love us, that no one cares for us. All lies, the world conveys. But Jesus really does love us and long for us! Paul continues telling the Philippians they are his joy and his crown. Like when you work hard on a project and put much effort into bringing something forth, there is joy and admiration in the finished work. Perhaps that's what Paul is saying here. Like John said in 3 John 1:4 "I have no greater
joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." So Paul, builds them up and then encourages them "stand fast in the Lord, beloved". Don't we each need to be built up and encouraged? Stand fast, my fellow believer, you are loved, you are longed-for, you are my joy and my crown.

No comments: